Friday, January 11, 2013

Too Many Ideas, Too Little Time

I am at a sewing standstill.  This happens far too often…I get excited about an idea, then I get excited about another idea and another...and I end up with a stack of UFO's needing to be completed.  My brain works much faster than my needle!

I was planning on re-making the leather pleated skirt in better fabric while it's fresh on my mind.  But before I could get to the fabric store to find more leather material, a delivery showed up on my doorstep - from Mood!!!  It was a beautiful navy blue silk that I purchased when it went on sale recently.

Now I'm dying to make a dress with that silk, and I keep coming back to the Colette Peony pattern that I've had in my stash for a while and have been waiting to make.
 

But I'm also obsessed with the idea of making a skater dress - very fitted in the bodice and a 1/2 or 3/4 circle skirt.  Full skirts are my weakness!

www.asos.com
 
www.asos.com

 
www.asos.com
At moments like this, I'm tempted to whip something up quickly just so I can move on to the next idea.  I know that I could make that pleated skirt in an afternoon, the skater dress in a day, but they would be sloppy.  They wouldn’t fit perfectly.  They probably wouldn’t even be lined. 

One thing that I’ve learned (time and time again) is that if I don’t take the time to do it right, I just won’t wear it.  That means I have to slow down, and I'm not a fan of slowing down.  But I will.  

After all, I have to keep my New Year's Resolutions in mind:

*Goal #8: Make a wearable wardrobe
*Goal #10: Take time to improve my finishings

Ok, game plan: I will make the skirt first.  It will be the quickest of my projects, and I won’t really be able to say that UFO #2 is finished until I re-make it.  Then I’ll move on to that silk…maybe I’ll even make the skater dress out of the silk and kill two birds with one stone!

1 comment:

  1. Say YES to the Skater Dress!! You look great in them and will get so much use out of it.

    ReplyDelete