Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Handmade Christmas

I have always preferred handmade gifts to purchased ones, no matter the occasion.

When I was a child, my mother made a stuffed rabbit for me. She was crafted out of old blue jeans from our family and some remnants of brown velvet upholstery fabric.


Although she wasn't made out of fine, expensive fabric, she was my most prized possession.  Mom put so much love and care into making that doll; she wanted it to turn out perfect for her little girl...and it did! 

I now have two adorable nieces and they are quite taken by my old friend. I decided that I would make them bunnies of their own for Christmas.  I got a pair of blue jeans from my brother and sister-in-law to use for the bodies and found similar upholstery fabric. 


As is true most of the time, my imitation of my mother’s masterpiece is not exact.  "It just ain't like Momma made it," as they say.  But I'm sure my nieces won't mind.





I hope the girls will treasure their bunnies and maybe even one day make some for their own daughters or nieces.   


 

I have a few more Christmas gifts to mark off of my to-do list, and then it's back to the Forget-Me-Nots!

No comments:

Post a Comment